Sleep is like death. Whatever state one takes his last breath determines his success or failure in this life. In the same way, how you end your day before sleep determines how successful your day is. So sleep right and wake up right. The way you wake up is the foundation of your day, make it strong.
Make wudu (ablution) before sleep and digest your night meal with a two raka’at nafilat. Since this nafilat comes immediately after wudu, the same two raka’at also serves as the nafilat of tahiyyatul wudu.
If you can recite the noble Qur’an, then read from the Baqarah Surah its earliest four verses, the ayatal kursiy and two verses after it, as well as the last three verses. And if you are constraints to recite so much, the last two verses of the Baqarah Surah is enough protection.
Then repent for all your sins by saying three times the Prophetic prayer:
- Astaghfirullah –l-azhima al-ladhi la ilaha illah huwa al-Hayyul Qayyumu wa atubu ilaihi.
Then say Subhanallah 33, Alhamdulillah 33 and Allahu Akbar 34.
Say Subhanallah wabihamdihi a hundred times (100x).
La haola wala quwwata ten times (10x),
La ilaha illah llah wahdahu la sharikalah lahul Mulku wa lahul Hamdu wahuwa ‘ala kulli shayn qadr once.
Then recite the ayatal kursiy finally saying:
- Allahumma bismika amutu wa haya
Place your right palm under your right cheek and sleep with Zikr of Allah’s name (La ilaha illallah) in your heart. Your sleep become an ‘ibadat recorded by the Angels (alaihimu ‘s-salam) until you wake up.
A Muslim wakes up remembering Allahu ta’ala and thanking Him because not all who sleep wake up and not all who wake up do so in ease and peace. So we wake up saying the blessed Kalimah ‘Ashadu an la ilaha illallah wa ashadu anna Muhammada abuduhu wa Rasuluhu. Rub up the effect of sleep using the thumbs on the eyes.
Sit up to say the prayers of waking up. They are said in the following order:
- Alhamdulilah ladhi hayana ba’ada ma ‘amatana wa ilaihi nusr
- Alhamdulillah wa subhanallah wa la ilaha illallah wallahu akbar wa la hawla wala quwwata illa billah.
- You may follow this with the Surah Sabihismarabbika …
- Say some salawat for noble soul of the best of creation (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam).
- Then request your need from Almighty Allah and it will be granted inshallah.
- Say Bismillah, pick your miswak (chewing stick) and wash your mouth to clear what is left of sleep.
- Enter the toilet left leg first and come out with the right leg.
- When you come out of the toilet to make wudu use the miswak again as a separate Sunnah.
May our Karim (extremely compassionate) Lord honour us with sleeping and waking right and with the great fortune of adapting all our steps in life to the noblest of servants and Allah’s most beloved, Rasulu-Karim Muhammad Mustafa (alaihi wa ahli wa sahabihi salawatul wa taslimah), amin.